- What is the part’s function? For example, does it need to bend or does it need to be strong?
- What is the expected size and volume of the part?
- Will the part be exposed to extreme temperatures during its use, or even during storage?
- Will the part need to stand up to heavy use?
- Will the part be exposed to any chemicals, outdoor elements, or other damaging factors?
If you need to design plastic parts for your next product, one of the most important decisions you’ll need to make is what type of plastic to use. With all of the different resins and chemical combinations available, you have a lot of options. You can make plastics that are extremely hard, pliable, durable, or able to withstand extreme temperatures. How do you decide what type of plastic to use? Answering these questions might help: